Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Cards For Kids Drive and Crayon Resist Technique

I happened upon a really great website a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't get it out of my mind.  I kept going back to it, and re-reading about the Cards for Kids that Jennifer McGuire has started.  I had been meaning to make some cards, but every time I started, I couldn't think about what to write, what to stamp, etc.  Let me start at the beginning.

Cards For Kids is a card drive started by Jennifer McGuire through her blog.  People (like me and you), make cards for seriously sick children.  We send them to Jennifer, and she forwards them along to the children.  She is in the 3rd round now.  There are 13 children for whom you can make cards.  Jennifer has lots of samples and ideas to get you started, and I will post some of mine here on my blog as well.  Here's one of mine:
As you can see, I keep these quite simple.  And bright and cheery.  I will write a little note inside.  There are lots of ideas on J's blog, so do stop by and check it out.
You can make one card, for one child, or as many as 13 cards, one for each child.  Even one card is appreciated and will mean so much to these children.
Here is the link to Jennifer's post about Cards for Kids  http://jennifermcguireink.typepad.com/my_weblog/we-are-collecting-cards-for-ten-children-and-their-families--kate--sami----a-few-things-to-know--this-card-drive-will-be-on.html .  Please stop by to check it out, and if you have a few minutes, maybe even make a simple card and send it along to Jennifer.  You will be blessed!

Today's techique cards:





So, on to the technique for today.....which is WHITE CRAYON RESIST.  As I was making my kids cards to send to Jennifer, I made a couple using this technique.  It's quite simple. 





How it's done:
 

Start with white glossy card stock.
  • Stamp image with black ink.  Heat set or let dry thoroughly.
  • Using a white crayon, draw highlights wherever you want there to be white in the finished image.  On the butterfly, I outlined loosely with the crayon, and on the owls, I colored the eyes with the crayon so they would stay white, and added some white lines around the owls and underneath.
  • Brayer over image.  I used Kaleidacolor rainbow ink pads.
  • Using a tissue, rub over brayered panel.  This will remove any crayon, and reveal the white resist left by the crayon!
  • Use your panel on a great card!
Another drive Jennifer is hosting right now is Cards for Grace http://jennifermcguireink.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/06/need-your-help-cards-for-grace.html .  Grace is a little girl who just lost her twin sister, Ellie, to cancer.  You can read about Grace and Ellie on this link. 
Jennifer would like to send a huge box of cards to Grace by the end of July.  If you would like to make a card for Grace, please send it to Jennifer by July 31st.  Information and address is in the link. 
And, finally, here's my card for Grace:
I also made Grace a little tiny notebook from one of those mini composition books at the dollar store.  I just covered it with some patterned card stock and some stamping.  Here it is:

I wrote her a little note in the card, and sent a note on how she might use the notebook to write her thoughts and feelings.  My heart aches for Grace and her parents.  I'm going to send a card along for her parents, as well. 
I will post more of the kids cards as I get a few more made.  If you have any questions, Jennifer will be happy to answer them.  By the way, only Grace's card is due by July 31st.  The other kids card drive goes through August.
Thanks for stopping by today.  Blessings to you and yours,
and
PEACE!

lynda

2 comments:

  1. Love this fun technique, Lynda! What a neat effect it has! And wow do I ever love your card for Grace! She is going to adore it along with the cute notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda,
    Especially love the green one and the little notebook! Well done! Thanks for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!