I was really excited when I saw this technique on the Gina K Designs website. Gina Krupski, who developed the technique, calls it Distressed Stripes. Here's a link to her blog, which contains full directions, card samples, and a terrific video on how to do this technique: http://stamptv.ning.com/video/distressed-stripes .
The technique is easy, and fun to do. You start with a piece of white card stock. Tape it to a grid - I used a square cutting mat that has 1/4" lines marked over the entire surface, vertically and horizontally. Start by using an index card or scrap piece of card stock, and mask off all but 1/4" of the white card stock. Using a piece of Cut n' Dry, apply the first of two colors to the 1/4" strip. Move the index card down another 1/4", and apply the second color, making sure to blend into the first color. Move the index card down another 1/4" and apply the first color again, being sure to blend into the previous stripe. Continue on in this manner, alternating between the two colors, until the entire card is covered.
Next, I used my Martha Stewart score board to score embossed lines between each stripe. Then, using a sponge dauber, sponge a third (darker) color on the raised areas. This will form a distinction between the stripes. I like to use Walnut Stain distress ink for this step.
That's it...you will have a very unique background. It will make much more sense when you watch the video, I promise.
These are my cards using the Distressed Stripes technique (background):
I stamped the leaves border on an ivory panel (which I sponged with distress ink), colored the ferns with a green marker. I also stamped it on brown, green, and kraft card stock, and cut out several leaves. I foam-taped the green leaves over the leaves on the panel, and adhered the others over the background area. I applied the leaf border to a green panel, distressed the edges, added the verse. I tied twine around the panel, and added a clip.
On the next card, I used yellow and red inks, which gave wonderful shades of orange. I used Walnut Stain distress ink for the raised areas. I used the 1/4" measurements as in the video this time. The leaves on the focus panel were made by the direct to paper technique (which was covered a couple of posts ago). The panel on the right was stamped with VersaMark ink.
I hope you'll give this technique a try - I think you will find it to be a lot of fun. I experimented with several variations. I'd love to see some of the ideas you come up with!!
Lastly, I have one more background finished, but haven't made a card from it yet. It's getting late, and I need to get the post up, so I'll just show you the piece. I used blue and yellow inks, which blended to shades of green. I then turned the card vertically and made stripes in the opposite direction.
That's it for tonight. I had a long day at work today, and another long one coming tomorrow, so I'm off to bed now. Thanks for stopping by.
Peace and blessings,