Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Technique Tuesday - My Christmas Card

Yep, I finished my Christmas cards!!!  I know, I can't believe it myself.  I wanted to get them done before # 2 grand baby arrives, so I got to work early.  It helped to get together with friends to work on them.  Makes all the repetition of making the same card over and over a little more fun.  I even got the envelopes addressed and ready to go.  I left them open so I can add a little note.  So, that's one less thing to have to do when I get back from Buffalo, where I'll be spending several days with my daughter and her family, helping Faith with the new baby.  In case you haven't heard, it's a girl, and she is coming on Monday!  Can't wait to meet this precious little one!

Anyways, here is my Christmas card:
And the inside:
The stamps are Penny Black.  The ribbon is from Michael's, and the inks are Ranger's Distress Inks. 
Here are the techniques I used:
I inked the poinsettia with three colors of distress inks, starting with antique linen, inking the entire stamp.  Then I added old paper around the outsides of the petals and a little inside, by using the corners of the pad.  Finally, I used the ink blending tool to add a little vintage photo to the centers and around the edges.  I also added some shabby shutters ot the stems and leaves.
Then I spritzed the stamp with a fine mist spritzer with water and stamped onto ivory card stock.
The phrase stamp is all one stamp - I masked and inked the first part, removed the mask, and stamped it on the front.  Then, I masked that part, inked the rest, and stamped it inside.
The edges of the inside and outside of the card were done with the ink blending tool and distress inks.  To achieve a soft, blended look, simply start off the paper, and using circular motion, blend from off the paper onto it, using less and less pressure as you get toward the center of the card.
A couple of copper brads added a little dimension.
That's it!
For me, it was VERY difficult to not keep going and adding more to the card.  But I decided to keep it clean and simple, something which is not easy for me.  I think the simplicity, however, adds to the powerful message I wanted to highlight.
Each year, I choose a theme for the year, which I introduce with my Christmas decor and cards.  My theme this year was "peace," which I introduced with my cards and Christmas decor last Christmas.  My 2011 theme is "hope," and my card reflects that theme, as will my decorations. 
I try to develop the theme throughout the year, by reading about it, living it, and promoting it during the year. 
We already have a jump start on next year's theme, I think, with the new life that is soon to be part of our family! 
I'll keep you posted!

Blessings and peace,
lynda

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card and have fun meeting your little granddaughter! You're going to love her! LOL Did you want to come and help make my cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful classy card this is. Thank you so much for sharing how you made it. I have a similar stamp and will give this technique a try - love the sentiment you have used also. Thanks for sharing.
    Congratulations on the impending birth.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!