Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Simon Says Stamp Make It Girlie Challenge Card

Today's card is for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.  The theme for this week's challenge is Make it Girlie.  I thought pinks and oranges and flowers were pretty girlie, so I'm entering this card.
The stamps used for this card are from the W Plus 9 set Beautiful Bouquets: Dahlias.  These pretty flowers were fun to paint.  I used an inexpensive, low-quality set of pan watercolor paints, just to see how they would perform.  I hadn't used them in quite a while, and actually have kept them to share with my grandies.

Overall, I was not really happy with them.  They were quite chalky and brittle, and it was difficult to get enough pigment on my brushes.  I did this little experiment, because I want to purchase a better set of pan watercolors, but I needed to justify spending more money on them when I already had my set that I share with my granddaughters when they come over.  I did order a set of the Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolors after this trial.  I know I will get lots of use from them.  The card isn't too bad, but it was a lot more work than if I had paints that cooperated with me.

For the layering piece under the panel, I used plain white card stock, and taped a stripe template over it.  I used Tim Holtz distress inks and Clarity stencil brushes to brush on my stripes.  I did the orange first, then moved the stencil over slightly and added pink, then moved it over more and added more pink.  It looks as though I used three colors, but I only used two.  I will definitely be using this technique again.

Thanks for stopping by today.  

Blessings,
lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!