Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Technique Tuesday - Crinkled Ribbon for Cards and Layouts

Crinkled, dyed ribbon is very popular now.  The vintage, distressed look enhances your cards and scrapbook pages and paper crafted projects.  This crinkled ribbon can be expensive to purchase, but is very inexpensive and easy to make yourself. 
This video by Lindsay, The Frugal Crafter shows how to make your own hand-dyed crinkled ribbon from rayon seam binding and dye based reinkers.  Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6WcFAs3VM&feature=related
Lindsay used liquid watercolor, and many of the other tutorials I've seen use glimmer Mist sprays.  I make my own.  I use the little mini misters from Ranger and fill them 3/4 with plain water.

Then just add a few (7 to 9) drops of refill ink.  If you want shimmer, add a little Perfect Pearls (about 1/8 tsp), and mix well.  Then just follow the directions in the video, and you have gorgeous, rich, crinkled ribbon!

I purchased a 100 foot roll of white rayon seam binding for just $7.95 at  Zipperstop (click to bring you to the site).

And here is a card I made with my dyed, crinkled ribbon. 
I used Adirondack bottle and denim inks, with green interference Perfect Pearls.  I do like to push the envelope a bit, and had to try stamping on the finished ribbon.
I used Penny Black's Letter Background 1999L for the script effect on the ribbon (it shows up better on the real ribbon than it does in the picture.  The leaf is Penny Black's Leaf Spray 2026H.  Not sure where the celebrate script is from - it was a cling that I forgot to label after removing it from the block.

To make the ribbon flower, simply gather about 5" of the ribbon along one long edge with needle and thread, pull up to gather, then sew into flower shape.  I used a permanent marker to dye a pearl for the center (and the button on the bow).

Have a wonderful evening, and stop back tomorrow to see the winner of my blog candy coffee cup challenge!

Blessings,

lynda

3 comments:

  1. Lynda- Thank you for sharing how the crinkle ribbon is dyed and made from seam binding. I love the crinkle ribbon-very beautiful.

    The card you created is beautiful also. I said 'WOW' when I first spotted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Lynda. I thought I had commented on this post but I guess not.

    Thanks for sharing another wonderful technique! I even watched the YouTube video you linked in. I got the itch to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!