Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Pastel Chalk Resist

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of my wonderful friends, fans, readers, followers, fellow bloggers, fellow stampers, well, everyone!
I'm enjoying a day off.  I love mid-week days off, and usually plan my trips (doctors, shopping, visiting, errands) for this day, but as I looked out the window this morning and saw the winter wonderland scene, I thought it would be a perfect day for staying in!  I don't have to don boots, gloves, hat, etc. and no shoveling or scraping.

Be sure to check read this whole post, as there is a  BLOG CHALLENGE after the technique, and you just could win a prize!!!!
So, now that I have my hot chocolate, it's time for today's Technique Tuesday technique.

Last week I did a chalk ink resist technique.  Many people get confused when we talk about chalks.  For this post, I will be using pastel chalks, the kind that come in little palettes or stick form - in other words, actual chalk.  Chalk INK, on the other hand, is ink that is formulated to look like chalk when it dries. That is what I used on last week's post.  Now that I have that cleared up, let's move along.
Pastel Chalk Resist

This is a card I made for a stamp camp at The Paper Garden in 2008.  Here's how the technique is done:

  • Start with a card stock panel.  Ink panel with VersaMark clear ink pad, using stamp images of your choice. For this card, I used Hero Arts Winter's Butterfly set of clear stamps.
  • Be sure to let the ink dry a minute or two - DO NOT RUSH THIS.  If you apply the chalk while the ink is too wet, it will smear. Take your time.
  • Using an alligator clip with piece of cotton or pom pom, or sponge applicators made for chalks, apply color to the stamped images. Use different applicator for each color. In this card, I used light, medium, and dark blue chalks. This is the exciting step, as you will see the images "pop" out, right before your eyes! 
  • Use a soft tissue to gently wipe the card front to remove any extra chalk particles.  You will not remove the smudges around the images....that adds to the charm of the technique, and gives your images a soft glow.
  • Finish panel as desired.  In this card, I added some stamped snow flakes with blue Marvy Matchable ink. Then I drew over some of the design with the white Signo gel pen, to break up all the blue a little, and add some interest.
  • TIPS:  Again, be sure to let the ink dry a bit before applying chalk.  If desired, you may spray your panel with a fixative, or aerosol hair spray. It shouldn't be necessary, but some people like to add this step.
To finish my card, I attached a white snowflake brad through the panel, then attached my panel to a white layer, then to the blue card. I added the stamped sentiment, and with the white Signo gel pen, added fake "brads" to the corners of the panel. I attached the panel with foam tape.
Here is the inside of the card:  
                                                                                                                       
I hope you enjoyed this technique. I use this a lot, as I like the soft, smudgy look.

Blog Challenge:   If you try this, let me know.
*If you post your card on Flickr, and send me the link, I'll post it on my blog this week for everyone to enjoy. I'd love to see what you do with this.
*BE SURE TO LABEL YOUR CARD PaperArtsCafe Blog Challenge # 1.
*Also, be sure to leave a message on this post, and send me an email at keeleysgram@yahoo.com to let me know you're playing, and that you posted your card on Flickr, along with your link, and your mailing address in case you are the winner!
*Send me your card link by NOON  Sunday, January 10th. I will choose one card, and the artist will win some BLOG CANDY! If you are not familiar with blog lingo, blog candy is goodies that stampers and scrap bookers like....a little prize. No fat, no calories, but yummy goodies to use on your next project.  I will send the winner of this challenge a Colorbok Christmas Mini Scrapbook Kit (hey, you can get an early start for next year). If you are not a scrap booker, don't worry. There are plenty of papers and embellishments for card makers in this package.
So get busy. You have until Sunday NOON to post your images and send me the link.
*Be sure to send me your name and address, so I know who and where to send the blog candy to. I will post all the entries on Monday, January 11th, and will announce the winner of the blog candy.

So check Monday's post, and come back often for more fun "blog stuff" on PaperArtsCafe! (Don't forget, if you don't want to miss a post, sign up to follow me on the blog site). This is my first blog challenge, and I hope you will participate. I look forward to seeing your cards!
Happy stamping and scrapping!
Blessings, joy, and peace,
lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!