Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Technique Tuesday - Faux Layering for cards and scrapbook pages

Sometimes I want layers on my card, or page, but need to keep actual layers to a minimum, or I already know that I'm going to use lots of layering with elements, so want to keep my paper layers to a minimum. Or sometimes I just can't find the right print or background paper for the cardstock I'm using (hard to believe if you ever saw the stash of paper I have in my room). But, it does happen. 

I have made my own background papers using lots of different techniques, usually make the paper, then cut and layer it onto my card. I found this really fun technique on Stamp With Tami's blog http://stampwithtami.com/ where she made a "faux layer" directly on the cardstock.  I tried it, and am really hooked.  Link to Tami's video tutorial is below.
Here's the card I made using Tami's technique:
The top part of the card, where it looks like torn floral paper, is actually the technique part. I did it directly on the cardstock!  Doesn't it look like a torn layer added to the card?
To create this look, simply tear a piece of scrap paper, put it on your card where you want your faux layer to be, and using a sponge applicator, apply ink along the torn edge of the scrap paper.  As you apply ink, drag some of it up onto the rest of the card, but lightly.  Then, keeping the torn scrap paper mask in place, stamp some images on the exposed paper, making sure to have some go off the edges. When you remove the torn paper mask, Voila!  You have what looks like a torn layer on your card!  Here's Tami's YouTube video, which illustrates this technique step by step. She did a fantastic job with this tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQF9QDnYsDw&feature=player_embedded#! .

I love this technique! Hope you will give it  a try...it's so much fun to do.  You know me, I love to play with my inks, so this is right up my alley!  The rest of the card:  I used Hero Arts stamps (G2120) Natural Bamboo, and C2703 With Caring thoughts. I inked the bamboo with greens and brown ink, then used a damp paint brush to pull the color off the stamped image, to give it that smudged watercolor look.  I stamped the verse on a scrap piece of cardstock, cut it apart, mounted it onto the brown, then foam taped it onto the card. I colored the pearls brown (upper left and flower center) with my Peel Off markers.

That's it.  Easy card, and quick!  And I am always hearing the need for ideas for men's cards.  This is a great card idea for a man, just use a different verse!

Enjoy the rest of your week. I think we've already entered summer!  Going to be nice all week. 

Blessings and peace,

lynda

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous, fun technique, Lynda! I love the way it turned out on your beautiful card! Thanks for the link to the video! Can't wait to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Lynda and you have used these techniques to such great effect!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!