Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Techique Tuesday - Color Blocked Background Cards

Color layering is the topic of the past couple of weeks over on the Hero Arts Blog, and I posted a TT about it a couple of weeks ago.  Today, Sally Traidman posted a really great article on the HA blog about color layering her way!  She used acrylic blocks (the ones you mount clear and cling stamps to for stamping), with ink.  Here's the link to her article...check out her fabulous cards http://heroarts.com/blogs/club/2010/06/29/color-layering-my-way/ .

I really liked the look, so I'm passing along the details to you.  Here is color blocking with acrylic blocks:
Begin by inking an acrylic block with dye ink.  You may use one color, or ink two or more colors on the block before stamping.  At this point you may choose to spritz or stamp.  I just stamped the block onto my card stock.  In Sally's article, she spritzed the inked block with water, then stamped it.  The look is similar, just a little less defined if you spritz. Either way, the effect is a really great background.


You may also choose to add some Perfect Pearls to your spritzer to add some shimmer to your background.  Play around with this technique, and you're sure to come up with your own "recipe!"

Here's a card I made with my background piece:
I can't wait to do some more, and may even post more pictures on the blog posting before the evening's over.  For now, I want to get it up on the blog.  I did get another done....check below.

I'm using this card for a couple of challenges:
Our Creative Corner Challenge http://ourcreativecorner6.blogspot.com/2010/06/keep-your-cool-color-challenge-blues.html 
Use blues and greens.
and
Simon Says Stamp http://simonsaysstampschallenge.blogspot.com/
where the theme is Friends.

Stamps are Hero Arts H3251 Wild Brush, and one of the phrase stamps from the LL206 Take Good Care Greetings, and F2674 Long Writing Background.
Instructions:
Create background using the instructions above and trim. Ink flower stamp with water based markers, spritz, and stamp over background piece.  Repeat.
Ink and stamp writing background with green, and stamp over flowers and to the left.
Punch right side of panel (EK Success punch).  Add green strip along left side. Layer onto blue panel, tear right side. Layer again, and tear.
Create "belt" with strips of green card stock.  Wrap around panel.  Add brads.
Stamp verse and use Nestabilities to layer and cut. Add to card with foam tape.
Stamp same flower stamp onto outside of ivory card with green. Add panel.  Distress edges.
---------------------------------------
I did make another card tonight, and here it is:
Hope you like this technique.  I'm off now to make some more!!  Be sure to stop by Hero Arts blog, and read Sally's article.  You might want to try a challenge or two, also.  OCC and Simon Says are lots of fun, and always have such gorgeous DT samples on their sites...stop by and check them out.  Maybe even enter them!

If you didn't see my previous two posts, I posted a 4th of July card, and another card using the same stamp with different colors.  Just scroll down to check them out.

Happy 4th of July.  Celebrate safely!

Peace and blessings,
lynda

2 comments:

  1. That is really a cool technique and one I never saw before! I may scrap lift it for my blog!! What a beautiful card it made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this technique, Lynda. Goig to for sure give this a try. Great cards!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!