Saturday, September 4, 2021

Watercolor Poppies With Boku Undo ESumi Watercolor Palette

 Hello friends!  It is a lovely day today, so I am heading out to my garden shortly to start my 'fall garden pruning and cleanup.'  But first, I wanted to post this watercolor painting I did in my watercolor journal.


My watercolor journal is a Canson Montval watercolor pad, cold press, 5.5 x 8.5.  I used Boku-Undo E-Sumi watercolors to paint, in the Shadow Black palette. 

First, I created the background by taping the edges of the page with washi tape, then used a large brush to apply water inside the entire area.  This was rather wet, but not running off the page.  
When the background was entirely dry, I hand-drew the poppies and pods onto the background lightly with pencil.  I painted them in layers of color from the palette, gradually building up color to create shading and highlights.  

When dry, I added gold highlights in the stamen area and on some of the petals with a nib pen and gold paint.  

To finish, I spattered with gold paint onto the page.


I was really trying for a loose watercolor look, which I feel I achieved in the background.  However, for the flowers and pods I got a little carried away, and really wanted to see how well these new-to-me paints would work for shading and highlights.
I really like these paints.  They go on easily, and blend beautifully.  The colors are strong, yet not really too bright or too pastel.  They layer nicely, to build up color intensity.  I think I will be using this palette often!

And now to head outdoors, with a nice glass of iced tea to relax on the deck, then onto the garden work.  Or not.  Wherever the mood takes me.  Thanks so much for stopping by.  

Blessings,


1 comment:

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!