Thursday, September 2, 2021

Watercolor Azalea Duo With New Paints

Hello friends!  I'm stopping in with a quick post to share a card I made using a new-to-me type of watercolor paint.
I used watercolor paper, and stamped the C.14651.Q Azalea image from Magenta.  This is a lovely stamp image, and I thought it would be a good subject on which to try my new paints.

I painted the image with these Boku-Undo E-Sumi Watercolor Palette - Shadow Black Mei - 6 Color Set watercolors I purchased from JetPens.    The colors in this set are unique.  The shades are not bold and bright, nor are they typical pastel shades.  Rather, they are somewhat muted or subdued, as you can typically only get by mixing colors. 
I decided to paint the flowers in layers of glaze.  This is my first attempt at this, and my initial use of these paints.  I really love the way they blend and layer.  I used a mixture of the shadow purple and shadow green to create the grayish tones for the background.

I used Magenta images with distress inks for the background swirls, and for the verse.

I didn't like the stamens in black, so I went over the black with a white gel pen.  I wish I had left them be, as the pen didn't work well over the black ink, and I had to keep adding more, creating a bit of a smudgy look.  But, I am trying to let go of my perfectionist tendencies, and post it anyways.  Next time, I won't ink the stamens, rather I will draw them in with the gel pen afterwards.  Lesson learned.

I really enjoyed these paints, and I'm sure I will be reaching for them often.  

Thanks so much for stopping by.

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful watercolouring of your Azalea with your Shadow black paints. Aren't they cool, I think it's the hint of black in each colour :) Reminds me to pull mine out and give them a little love ♥

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!