Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Technique Tuesday - BLACK MAGIC - Black Card Stock with Prismacolor Pencils


Welcome to another Technique Tuesday!  Today's technique continues the series on techniques and tips for using black card stock.  Last week I used watercolor pencils on embossed image.  This week, I am using colored pencils (Berol Prismacolor is my brand of choice, due to it's soft lead) on white pigment inked images.  This is an old technique, which I taught years ago, and it is making a come-back now.  I've seen it referred to as "Black Magic" in forums and tutorials.  Here's how it looks:               

To create the image portions of these cards, I simply stamped my images (flower/bird) with ColorBox white pigment ink, and let it dry. Well, actually, I'm not a big fan of waiting for things to dry, so I hurried things along with my heat tool.  When the ink was dry, I colored over the white portions with my Berol PrismaColor colored pencils. I like this brand, as the lead is soft and creamy, and there are lots of colors in the line.  That's really all there is to it.  Here are some portions of my cards enlarged so you can see details.
Before and after coloring
I added white gel pen "doodles"







On this flower card, I used some of the seam binding which I hand-dyed (see THIS POST *HERE* ) for details and my tutorial on dying seam binding.  Bows were made with Bow-Easy, a plastic template which makes bow-making easy-peasy.                                                               GOOD NEWS:  I will have the Bow-Easy for sale in my Etsy Shop in a couple of weeks.  They are on order, and as soon as they arrive, I will be selling them.  If you are interested, let me know, and I will send you an email to let you know when they are in.  Or, just keep checking my Etsy site to see if they're in yet.  Here's the link to my Etsy site: Tattered Daisy on Etsy


And, before I sign off for today, I thought I'd share a couple of cards.  This first one is made by MaryRuth Owens.  She tried last week's technique of watercolor pencils on white embossing, and here's her card.  Isn't it so pretty!!! Love it, MaryRuth.  Thanks for sharing.     And...keep scrolling down for another lovely card........                                                                          
 I got this card in the mail yesterday, and just had to share it with you.  It's from my friend, Arlene Rose.  Arlene took her wheel stamps off the rollers, and shares the benefits of doing so on her blog.  Stop by and visit Arlene's blog, SundayStamperPapercrafts and let her know what you think. Here's her lovely card, and she used my favorite color combo!!  Thanks, Arlene!!

That's it for today!  
Blessings,
lynda

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards, Lynda! I love the dramatic look of the bright color on black, it's really striking! I love your music playlist too, all my faves, we have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!