Monday, May 13, 2019

Impression-Obsession Old Is New - Dogwoods

Welcome to Impression-Obsession's Old Is New Day.  The IO designers have each created a project using an older Impression-Obsession stamp today.
For my card, I chose the Dogwood 2 stamp.  This stamp is a single dogwood, beautifully drawn, with amazing details.  It is easy to color with any medium, as the artist has skillfully created areas of dark and light for you to follow.
Stamps:
Dogwood 2 F12003
Every Flower C5051
French Text Cover-A-Card CC151
Silhouette 18

I stamped the Dogwood 2 onto Strathmore Mixed Media paper with Memento rich cocoa ink, so as to have a softer image than a harsh black ink.

I used a mask which I had previously stamped and fussy-cut to mask off the first flower, and stamped another over it.  I repeated this once more to create my cluster of dogwood blossoms.
I colored the images with Polychromos colored pencils.  I love Polychromos, as I can create several layers of color, which gives the images I am coloring more depth and interest.  I have found some other pencils build up a waxy finish, and resist layers after just a few.  Polychromos are oil based, not wax based like many other pencils, so this is not an issue with them.

Once I had my cluster stamped and colored, I added a subtle background.  I brushed in a soft green and rust background with distress inks in shabby shutters and rusty hinge.  I inked the Silhouette 18  leaves with shabby shutters, then stamped some of the ink off, and then stamped the remaining onto the card.  I repeated this around the arrangement.  It's subtle, but the leaves appear to be off in the background.


I also stamped the French Text CAC, again stamping off, then stamping it intermittently on the background, ever so faintly.  I think this adds another dimension and interest to an otherwise bland background.

Finally, I stamped the verse, Every Flower, using the same Memento rich cocoa ink.  I used my Misti Stamping Tool to stamp this, as the paper has some texture, and I wanted a crisp image.  Also, I wanted some depth of color for the words to stand out.

I distressed the edges of the panel, and attached it to an A2 white card.  For a final finishing touch, I added some sequins in a copper color, and a couple of white.

And for the inside:





I hope you enjoyed my card.  Be sure to check out what the other designers have created.  You can find links to their blogs HERE, on the Impression-Obsession blog post. 




Thanks so much for visiting today.  I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog.  I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

I am adding my card to these challenges:
PaperFunDay Challenge  - Anything goes - twist mother
Watercooler Wednesday - Occasion anything goes
The Library Craft Challenge - All Creatures -Inspired by cover
Simon Says Wednesday - A special lady

Blessings,

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! I really like the vintage feel you've created. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW GORGEOUS!!! Your hand MUST BE feeling better! STUNNING WORK, Lynda!!! ;)<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply Lovely! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous coloring of that dogwood design. This is so gorgeous and it is a wonderful sentiment too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous colouring of the dog wood flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card, Lynda. This flower image/sentiment combo is just right together. Sentiment now on my wish list! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card Lynda, love the cluster of Dogwood and your gorgeous colouring -- I'm really happy to be using pencils more often too

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!