Saturday, April 18, 2020

Reverse Stenciled Background With Stamping

Hello!  Today is the mid-way point for the Penny Black Saturday Challenge for this month.  The theme is always Anything Goes.  This month's optional 'extra' is to use twine or ribbon.  Many of the designers have created some inspiration for you.  You can find details of the challenge, and the the other designer's blog posts and inspiration HERE 
Here's my card...
Penny Black Stamps/Stencil:
First Blush 40-543
Special Thoughts 30-338
Leaf Frolic 25-019

I started with a piece of bristol paper.  Bristol paper is more fine than watercolor paper, yet it tolerates water better than regular card stock.

I laid my Leaf Frolic stencil onto a craft mat, and used my mini distress ink pads to dab color directly onto the stencil.  I used the colors shabby shutters, victorian velvet, and milled lavender.  

To activate the ink, I used my fine water mister to mist the stencil.  The trick is to get the right amount of water.  You don't want it dripping off the stencil, but you want enough to create the background.  I sprayed until the stencil had water droplets all over.  

I carefully picked the stencil off of the craft mat, then placed it color-side-down onto my piece of bristol paper.  I used an old (clean) towel to lightly press on the stencil.  I smoothed it out, and pressed for a bit.  

When I removed the stencil, I took a clean portion of the towel, and wiped the excess moisture from the panel.  I love the look of this background.  It is distinct enough to use on it's own, but soft enough to stamp over! 

I stamped the First Blush image onto the background panel with Memento Rich Cocoa ink, and painted it with distress reinkers.  I stamped the verse  from the Special Thoughts set, with the same ink.  I love this set for it's variety of verses, and the elegant fonts.   I distressed the edges of the panel, and wrapped some twine and a bow around it before attaching it to a white card with foam for dimension.

Inside, I brushed the same background colors through the stencil, and stamped a small part of the image and painted it.  

That's it.  I hope you are inspired to join our challenge.  I would love to see your creations.  Let me know if you try this technique.  You just might win a prize, so come on over.  You can find details, inspiration, and can play along HERE.

I am adding my card to these other challenges:
Allsorts Challenge  - Flowers and/or showers
CAS Watercolor - Spring flowers
The Flower Challenge - Spring/autumn
Make My Monday - Spring flowers
Penny Black At Allsorts - Anything goes

Thanks for stopping by.  I appreciate your visits and your comments.

Blessings,
 

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness--the best result I've ever seen using that technique! Stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! The background you created looks like professional paper. Thanks for the detailed directions for creating it. The flowers on top are accently gorgeously with your background. Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday challenges. Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really lovely creation, great background and image, love the inside too. Thank you for joining our 'Anything Goes' challenge at Penny Black and More.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Lynda - love the subtle stencilling underneath the image!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you've totally blown me away!! I've never, ever heard of this technique with the stencil and was wondering how you got that result until I re-read your post and realised you were putting colour and water straight on the stencil itself....its genius and I have to try this straight away!! How lovely to use a dark brown for your stamped image outline too and your colouring skills are incredible. Really love too how you used the same colours and stencil on the inside of the card too. I'm so very grateful you linked this card to The Flower Challenge, its taught me something new and wowed me with your talent as well. Please stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty floral creation with really striking use of colour, thanks so much for joining in with our 'Flowers and Showers' theme at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty blossoms, thank you for joining us at Allsorts, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, love the colors and the layout is wonderful. Thanks for playing with us at Make My Monday Challenge
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is truly beautiful card Lynda! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing at CAS Watercolour too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty with the shadow image behind your lovely floral branches - love the soft coloring! thanks for joining us (again!) at CAS Watercolor! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! I just came over from SCS to take a look at how you created the bg!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful layering with the stencil image behind. Love the deep colour of your stamped blossoms. Thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The result is amazing! Thank you for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. really gorgeous card
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at the CAS Watercolour Challenge!
    :) Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is lovely! Thank you for playing along with us at Make My Monday!

    Hugs,
    Mary Ellen
    blog - https://www.creativetimewithme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful card, Lynda! I love the lovely stenciling behind those pretty flowers! I love this kind of layered stamping! Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!