Thursday, April 30, 2020

Sending Caring Thoughts Card - TJ Week 2 WWDB Challenge

Today I would like to share my card for Week 2, Day 7, of the Technique Junkies What We Do Best, #WWDB Challenge.  The theme this week is Get Well.
I know this is a Christmas cactus, and it's the end of April.  However, my 'Christmas cactus' did not bloom at Christmas.  It bloomed at Easter!  So, that begs the question, 'Is it a Christmas cactus, or an Easter cactus.'  More on my cactus later in the post if you care to read my story.
TJ stamps links:
Christmas Cactus 
French Text 
Difficult Time, Set of 2 

I started with watercolor paper, and stamped the Christmas Cactus onto the panel, using VersaFine Clair nocturne ink. 

I used Arteza Real Brush markers to watercolor the image.  I cannot say enough about these markers.  I use them for many of my projects.  They are bold, intense, and loaded with color.  The real brush nib is a bit longer than most, which comes in very handy when you have a large area to color.  On watercolor paper, or bristol, they blend exquisitely.  There are many ways to use these markers.

For this card, I used them directly from the pen, and also in some areas, with a waterbrush.  I really let myself go with this one, as I wanted to push my limits a bit.  I LOVE color, and usually tend to keep my cards a bit tame, but I went a bit outside the box color-wise with this one.

When the watercoloring was dry, I used blending brush applicators, available at Technique Junkies, with distress inks to make a soft, haze around the image.  I did this by creating a mask for the cactus, then brushing on the color lightly. 

I stamped the French Text  stamp with shabby shutters distress ink, and stamped it very lightly to create a subtle script background.


Some touching up with white colored pencil and some spatters finish off the front.  I added it to an ivory A2 card front.

Inside:  I stamped the cactus image with distress ink, and the verse from the Difficult Time, Set of 2  stamp set.  Another must have set for so many types of cards.  It works really well when you want to send a get well card to someone who has a terminal or chronic illness or disease.

I hope you are inspired to join us in this challenge.  Week 3 starts tomorrow, with the theme ' Thinking of You.'  Details of the challenge, along with info on how your participation can win you a $50 TJ gift certificate, can be found on Pat's post HERE

As always, if you use my code, TJ10Lynda, at the TJ checkout, you will get 10% off your entire purchase.

Thank you for stopping by my blog today.  If you like my work, please check out my YouTube Channel.  I'm fairly new at videos, but am committed to teaching some of my most asked about techniques there.  I would appreciate your support by liking, subscribing, and ringing the bell on my YouTube site.

And if you're still with me, I will share how my 'Christmas cactus' has blessed me through the years.  My dad gave me a small one that he had started from clippings from his huge cactus.  He and my mom both died when I was barely 30.  Suffice to say, that was a good many years ago!   I loved that cactus, and nurtured it.  It matured through the years, and became a huge addition to my indoor plants.  

I have started many other cc plants from clippings from mine, and also from my dad's, which I had inherited.  I have given away several plants, and started a few more for myself.  The original stays on our sunporch, the rest reside in the garden in pots.  In late fall, they come into our basement, where I prune and care for them through the winter months, until they debut again in spring.

My heart smiles when I look at my cactus, and when it blooms (sometimes around Christmas, and sometimes in the spring), it brings me much joy and brings back loving memories.

I am adding my card to these challenges:
Addicted To Stamps - Anything goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Flower power
Watercooler Wednesday - Anything goes
The Paper Funday Challenge - Anything goes optional Easter

So, there you have it.  Have a fabulous, colorful day!

Blessings,

4 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous piece of art!
    Thank you for sharing with Addicted to Stamps and More!
    Susan
    Addicted to Stamps and More
    Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing colouring Your card is stunning. Thanks for sharing with us at Watercooler Wednesday this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is one gorgeous card! Your watercoloring and card design are just beautiful. We are so pleased that you joined us this week at Watercooler Wednesday. Karen - DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely coloring and image. Thanks for sharing with us at The Paper Funday Challenges. Donna - DT Member

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!